Hot Cross Buns with dōTERRA Oils
There’s nothing quite like the smell of freshly baked hot cross buns wafting through the house! Get your tastebuds into gear this Good Friday.
630g Strong bread flour
6g Sea salt
4g Dry yeast
Fruit & Spice Mix
1 drop dōTERRA Wild Orange essential oil
1 drop dōTERRA Cassia essential oil
1 drop dōTERRA Cinnamon Bark essential oil
1 drop dōTERRA Cardamom essential oil
1 drop dōTERRA Ginger essential oil
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
60g plain white flour
15g caster sugar
15g tepid water
- Combine dried fruit and doTERRA essential oils in a mixing bowl and fill bowl with water. Leave to soak for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Place the flour and salt into a bowl. Dissolve the yeast in the tepid water and pour into the bowl. Use your hand to mix the flour and water together until dough is formed. Once the flour and water has come together place the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead by hand for 10-15 minutes. If the mixture appears dry then add a little water. If you are using a domestic mixer, mix for 5-10 minutes. The dough is ready once it has become silky and elastic.
- Add the fruit and nutmeg and knead until it is fully combined with the dough.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel and leave for 60-70 minutes or until the dough has grown significantly.
- Divide the dough into 115g pieces and mould into small balls using the palm of your hand in a rolling motion on the work surface. Use flour to dust your hands to stop the dough from sticking. Place the buns in a greased cake tin or tray
- Mix the cross mix ingredients together in a small bowl. Place the cross mix in a piping bag and cross the buns. You will need a steady hand for this!
- Place the buns in a preheated 180˚C oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Remove the buns from the oven. Allow to cool and enjoy!
- Matt Triplett